Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Symbian Signing

You can sign your application quickly online from here:
https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page/public/openSignedOnline.do
All you need is a valid email address. You get a mail to verify that you want the application. After confirmation you get another mail with the signed application link :). Therefore:
1 link (as given above)
2 mails incomming.
2 Link click in email (one confirmation ... one download)
and you are all set.

For advanced users:
Here is a link to offline self signing your symbian apps and how it works : http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How_to_sign_a_.Sis_file_with_Self-Sign_Certificate

A bit of history:

I have been using a brand new nokia 5800 for about two weeks now. No Regrets! It is an awesome phone. Its accelerometer really got me thinking about cool programs like the ones I play on my mom's iPhone. Tried programming with PyS60. Really cool. Loved the audio.say api.
Here is a cool short code that saves a screenshot to e: (your memory card)
import graphics
#Take the screenshot
img = graphics.screenshot()
#Save it to the specified path
img.save(u"e:\\screenshot.jpg")
And another one that says what ever you want:

import audio
audio.say("Cool isn't it")

Both are complete python programs (needless to say... but mentioned for the un initiated).
And by using the bluetooth console (using my pc) I could freak out people in the room :).
But then I felt an urge that I had the first time I made a useful program.
Back in first semester while studying C++ i discovered a cool windows function that allowed me to send anonymous net send messages NetMessageNameAdd . It was nothing extraordinary but it facinated me. Because I could use my MFC skills to make an application that would actually do something that didn't come by default with windows. I wrote a complete multi destination/Multisource/cool gui application staying up all night :).

So, Now:
After looking around a bit at carbide c++ I can only wonder what information the symbian phone can give to a programmer that is not given away by any default application. Specifically I am interested in GSM parameters etc. lets see :)

Other useful links:
You can get the latest development releases of PyS60 from (The sourceforge page does not have development versions and I just want to play with my 58000 accelerometer) :
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=854

No comments:

Post a Comment